Woman of the year / Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer presents ; a George Stevens production ; original screen play by Ring Lardner, Jr. and Michael Kanin ; produced by Joseph L. Mankiewicz ; director, George Stevens.
- Two-DVD special edition.
- [New York, N.Y.] : The Criterion Collection, 
- Criterion collection ; 867.
Criterion Collection ; 867
2 videodiscs (114 min.) : sound, black and white ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 folded insert (illustrations ; 18 cm.)
DVD video 4 3/4 in.
- Marriage -- Drama.
Social classes -- Drama.
Journalists -- Drama.
- Feature films.
Romantic comedy films.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- Open-captioned for the deaf and hard of hearing (SDH).
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC, Region 1; full frame (1.37:1 aspect ratio) presentation; Dolby Digital mono.
digital optical monaural Dolby Digital
full screen (1.37:1)
video file DVD video region 1
- "George Stevens' Woman of the Year, conceived to build on the smashing comeback Katherine Hepburn had made in The Philadelphia Story, marked the beginning of the personal and professional union between Hepburn and Spencer Tracy, who would go on to make eight more films together. This tale of two newspaper reporters who wed and then discover that their careers aren't so compatible forges a fresh and realistic vision of what marriage can be. The freewheeling but pinpoint-sharp screenplay by Ring Lardner Jr. and Michael Kanin won an Academy Award, and Hepburn received a nomination for her performance. Woman of the Year is a dazzling, funny and rueful observation of what it takes for men and women to get along--both in the workplace and outside it"--Container.
- Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Fay Bainter, Reginald Owen, Dan Tobin, William Bendix, Minor Watson, Gladys Blake, Roscoe Karns.
- Director of photography, Joseph Ruttenberg; editor, Frank Sullivan; music, Franz Waxman.
- Videodisc release of the motion picture produced in 1942.
Special features: new interview with George Stevens Jr., the director's son; 1967 audio interview with George Stevens; new interview with George Stevens biographer Marilyn Ann Moss; new interview with writer Claudia Roth Pierpont on actor Katharine Hepburn; George Stevens : a filmmaker's journey (a 112-minute 1984 documentary by George Stevens, Jr.); The Spencer Tracy Legacy : a tribute by Katharine Hepburn (an 86-minute documentary from 1986); original theatrical trailer; essay by critic Stephanie Zacharek (on insert).
- Mankiewicz, Joseph L., film producer.
Stevens, George, 1904-1975, film director.
Lardner, Ring, Jr., 1915-2000, screenwriter.
Kanin, Michael, 1910-1993, screenwriter.
Tracy, Spencer, 1900-1967, actor.
Hepburn, Katharine, 1907-2003, actor.
Bainter, Fay, 1892-1968, actor.
Owen, Reginald, 1887-1972, actor.
Tobin, Dan, 1909-1982, actor.
Bendix, William, 1906-1964, actor.
Watson, Minor, 1889-1965, actor.
Blake, Gladys, 1910-1983, actor.
Karns, Roscoe, 1893-1970, actor.
Ruttenberg, Joseph, 1889-1983, director of photography.
Sullivan, Frank, 1896-1972, editor of moving image work.
Waxman, Franz, 1906-1967, composer (expression)
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, presenter, production company.
Criterion Collection (Firm), publisher.
- Container of: Woman of the year (Motion picture)
- Publisher Number:
CC2751DDVD The Criterion Collection
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|