Being there / Lorimar presents ; a Northstar International picture ; an Andrew Braunsberg production ; screenplay by Jerzy Kosinski ; produced by Andrew Braunsberg ; directed by Hal Ashby.
- Two-DVD special edition.
- [New York, New York] : The Criterion Collection,  , ©1979.
- Criterion collection ; 864.
The Criterion collection ; 864
2 videodiscs (130 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 folded insert (color illustrations ; 19 cm.).
DVD video 4 3/4 in.
- Kosinski, Jerzy, 1933-1991 -- Film adaptations.
Gardeners -- Drama.
Social isolation -- Drama.
Political consultants -- Drama.
Business and politics -- Drama.
People with mental disabilities -- Drama.
Television viewers -- Drama.
Washington (D.C.) -- Drama.
- Comedy films.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- In English.
Open-captioned for the deaf and hard of hearing (SDH).
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC, Region 1; widescreen (1.85:1 aspect ratio) presentation; Dolby Digital mono.
digital optical monaural Dolby Digital
video file DVD video region 1
- "In one of his most finely tuned performances, Peter Sellers plays the pure-hearted, childlike Chance, a gardener who is forced into the wilds of Washington, D.C., when his wealthy guardian dies. Shocked to discover that the real world doesn't respond to the click of a remote, Chance stumbles into celebrity after being taken under the wing of a tycoon (Melvyn Douglas, in an Oscar-winning performance), who mistakes his protégé's horticultural mumblings for sagacious pronouncements on life and politics, and whose wife (Shirley MacLaine) targets Chance as the object of her desire. Adapted from a novel by Jerzy Kosinski, this satire, both deeply melancholy and hilarious, is the culmination of Hal Ashy's remarkable string of films in the 1970s and a carefully modulated examination of the ideals, anxieties and media-fueled delusions that shaped American culture during that decade"--Container.
- Disc one. [Feature film]
disc two. [Special features].
- Peter Sellers, Shirley MacLaine, Jack Warden, Melvyn Douglas, Richard Dysart, Richard Basehart.
- Director of photography, Caleb Deschanel; editor, Don Zimmerman; music, Johnny Mandel; production designer, Michael Haller; costumes, May Routh.
- Title from title frame.
Based on Being there / by Jerzy Kosinski.
Videodisc release of the motion picture produced in 1979.
Restored 4K digital transfer.
Special features: new documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with members of the production team; excerpts from a 1980 American Film Institute seminar with director Hal Ashby; author Jerzy Kosinksi in a 1979 appearance on the Dick Cavett Show; appearances from 1980 by actor Peter Sellers on NBC's Today Show and The Don Lane Show; promo reel featuring Sellers and Ashby; original theatrical trailer and TV spots; deleted scenes, outtakes, and an alternate ending; plus an essay by critic Mark Harris (in insert).
- Ashby, Hal, film director.
Braunsberg, Andrew, film producer.
Kosinski, Jerzy, 1933-1991, screenwriter.
Deschanel, Caleb, 1944- director of photography.
Mandel, Johnny, composer (expression)
Zimmerman, Don, editor of moving image work.
Haller, Michael, production designer.
Routh, May, costume designer.
Sellers, Peter, 1925-1980, actor.
MacLaine, Shirley, 1934- actor.
Warden, Jack, actor.
Douglas, Melvyn, actor.
Dysart, Richard, actor.
Basehart, Richard, 1914-1984, actor.
Lorimar Productions, presenter, production company.
Northstar International (Firm), production company.
Criterion Collection (Firm), film distributor.
- Publisher Number:
CC2745DDVD The Criterion Collection
CC2745D The Criterion Collection
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|