The herb in history, mysteries and crafts / by Zenia Sacks DaSilva.
- Newcastle upon Tyne, UK : Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2017.
ix, 369 pages : illustrations (some color), music ; 22 cm
- Herbs -- Folklore.
Herbs -- Religious aspects.
Herbs -- Therapeutic use -- History.
Herbs -- Therapeutic use.
- This book is not the usual herbal; not a homeopathic handbook, a cookbook or a gardener's consort; not even a compendium of history or lore, though these are its favourite pursuits. At heart, it is a tale of humanity's poignant relationship with nature. Told in short vignettes, profusely illustrated and sprinkled with personal asides, it touches broadly on the role of plants in legend, in religion, in medicine, commerce, crafts and tradition, in literature, language, politics, beauty, in the rise and fall of empires, in food and manners, in love, in murder, and in crushing social passions. Publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Edward Potts Cheyney Memorial Fund.
- Edward Potts Cheyney Memorial Fund.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|