First-in-family students, university experience and family life : motivations, transitions and participation / Sarah O'hea, Josephine May, Cathy Stone, Janine Delahunty.
- London : Palgrave Macmillan, 
xxi, 223 pages : color charts ; 24 cm
- First-generation college students.
First-generation college students -- Family relationships.
- This book examines the university experiences of first-in-family university students, and how these students' decisions to return to education impact upon their family members and significant others. While it is well known that parental educational background has a substantial impact on the educational levels of family and dependents, it is unclear how attending university as a first-in-family student translates into the family and community of the learner. With the continuing requirements for higher education institutions to increase the participation of students from a range of diverse backgrounds and educational biographies, this is a major gap in understanding that needs to be addressed. Exploring how this university participation is understood at an individual, familial and community level, this book provides valuable insights into how best to support different student requirements.
- Setting the scene
The lack of what ...? First-in-family learners and their university experience
Disrupting the deficity: beyond notions of lack for first-in-family students
What am I waiting for?
Trailblazing: motivations and relationship impact for first-in-family enabling students
The online student experience: new challenges for engagement and support
"So how was big school today?" family receptions of HE participation
Parents managing university and family life
Motivated men: first-in-family male students
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Sabin W. Colton, Jr., Memorial Fund.
- May, Josephine, 1950- author.
Stone, Cathy, author.
Delahunty, Janine, author.
Sabin W. Colton, Jr., Memorial Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|