Mildred Pierce / Warner Bros. Pictures Inc. presents ; a Warner Bros.-First National picture ; screen play by Ranald MacDougall ; produced by Jerry Wald ; directed by Michael Curtiz.
- Two-DVD special edition.
- [New York, N.Y.] : The Criterion Collection, 
- Criterion collection ; 860.
The Criterion collection ; 860
2 videodiscs (111 min.) : sound, black and white ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 insert (1 folded leaf) ; 18 cm.
4 3/4 in. stamping
- Cain, James M. (James Mallahan), 1892-1977 -- Film adaptations.
Mothers and daughters -- Drama.
Single mothers -- Drama.
Parent and adult child -- Drama.
- Film noir.
Melodramas (Motion pictures)
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- Open-captioned for the deaf and hard of hearing (SDH).
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC, Region 1; fullscreen (1.37:1 aspect ratio) presentation; Dolby Digital mono.
digital optical monaural Dolby Digital
full screen (1.37:1)
video file DVD video region 1
- "Melodrama casts noirish shadows in this portrait of maternal sacrifice from Hollywood master Michael Curtiz. Its iconic performance by Joan Crawford as Mildred, a single mother hell-bent on freeing her children from the stigma of economic hardship, solidified Crawford's career comeback and gave the actor her only Oscar. But as Mildred pulls herself up by the bootstraps, first as an unflappable waitress and eventually as the well-heeled owner of a successful restaurant chain, the ingratitude of her materialistic firstborn (a diabolical Ann Blyth) becomes a venomous serpent's tooth, setting in motion an endless cycle of desperate overtures and heartless recriminations"--Container.
- Disc 1. [Feature film]
disc 2. [Special features].
- Joan Crawford, Jack Carson, Zachary Scott, Eve Arden, Ann Blyth, Bruce Bennett, Lee Patrick, Moroni Olsen, Veda Ann Borg, Jo Ann Marlowe, Butterfly McQueen.
- Director of photography, Ernest Haller; film editor, David Weisbart; art director, Anton Grot; wardrobe by Milo Anderson; music, Max Steiner.
- Based on Mildred Pierce / by James M. Cain.
Videodisc release of the motion picture produced in 1945.
Special features: new conversation with critics Molly Haskell and Robert Polito about Mildred Pierce; excerpt from a 1970 episode of The David Frost Show featuring Joan Crawford; Joan Crawford : the ultimate movie star (a 2002 feature-length documentary); Q&A with actress Ann Blyth from 2002, conducted by film historian Eddie Muller; segment from a 1969 episode of The Today Show featuring Mildred Pierce novelist James M. Cain; original theatrical trailer; essay by critic Imogen Sara Smith (on insert).
- Curtiz, Michael, 1888-1962, film director.
Wald, Jerry, 1911-1962, film producer.
MacDougall, Ranald, screenwriter.
Haller, Ernest, 1896-1970, director of photography.
Steiner, Max, 1888-1971, composer (expression)
Weisbart, David, editor of moving image work.
Grot, Anton, 1884-1974, art director.
Anderson, Milo, costume designer.
Crawford, Joan, 1908-1977, actor.
Carson, Jack, 1910-1963, actor.
Scott, Zachary, 1914-1965, actor.
Arden, Eve, 1908-1990, actor.
Blyth, Ann, 1928- actor.
Bennett, Bruce, 1906-2007, actor.
Patrick, Lee, 1901-1982, actor.
Olsen, Moroni, 1889-1954, actor.
Borg, Veda Ann, 1919-1973, actor.
Marlowe, Jo Ann, 1935-1991, actor.
McQueen, Butterfly, actor.
First National Pictures, Inc., production company.
Warner Bros. Pictures (1923-1967), production company.
Criterion Collection (Firm), publisher.
- Container of: Joan Crawford (Motion picture)
- Publisher Number:
CC2729DDVD The Criterion Collection
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|