The Weekly Tallahasseean.
- Other Title:
- Weekly Tallahasseean and land of flowers
- Tallahassee, Fla. : John G. Collins, -1905.
-v. 23, no. 47 (Jan. 13, 1905).
- Tallahassee (Fla.) -- Newspapers.
Leon County (Fla.) -- Newspapers.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Florida Leon Tallahassee.
- The Tallahasseean (FL) [LCCN sn95047414] began publication on June 1, 1885 in Florida's capital city, Tallahassee. Sometime not long thereafter, the newspaper merged with another Tallahassee newspaper, the Land of Flowers [LCCN: sn95047413]. This merged newspaper, edited and published by R. Don McLeod and known as the Weekly Tallahasseean and Land of Flowers [LCCN: sn95047415], is known to have existed by 1886. Sometime between 1888 and 1891, exact dates are not known, the newspaper's title changed to the Weekly Tallahasseean (FL) [LCCN: sn95047416]. A change of hands seems to have occasioned the name change. The Weekly Tallahasseean was published, first, by John G. Collins and, then, by John C. Trice. Some accounts suggest that the Weekly Tallahasseean was continued by the Tallahassee (FL) Weekly Capital [LCCN sn95026134] in 1905. The Tallahassee Weekly Capital, however, had been publishing as early as 1903.-In any case the Weekly Tallahasseean appears to have ceased publication in 1905. Because there are several runs of the Weekly Tallahasseean available in Florida libraries is not because Tallahassee was the seat of Florida's state government, it has been quoted copiously in many journal articles and theses. Of particular note is its usefulness in tracking Jim Crow behaviors in the early 20th century. During this period the Black population in Leon County was about 80% and the white supremacists felt threatened. Three works lend themselves to such analyses: Ortiz, Paul. Emancipation Betrayed: The Hidden History of Black Organizing and White Violence from Reconstruction to the Bloody Election of 1920. American Crossroads Series. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, 2005. Willis, Lee L. The Road to Prohibition: Religion and Political Culture in Middle Florida, 1821-1920. Dissertation. Florida State University, 2006. Kennedy, Arthur. "The Democrat" [Tallahassee newspaper].-Florida Historical Quarterly, Vol. 37, no. 2 (Oct. 1958), pp. 150-155. --E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
- Publisher: John C. Trice, <1900>-1905.
Description based on: Vol. 11, no. 14 (June 13, 1891).
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|