Light from ancient campfires : archaeological evidence for Native lifeways on the northern plains / Trevor R. Peck.
- Edmonton [Alta.] : AU Press, c2011
1 online resource (xv, 528 pages) : illustrations; digital file(s).
- Indians of North America -- Alberta -- Antiquities.
Projectile points -- Alberta.
Paleo-Indians -- Alberta.
Excavations (Archaeology) -- Alberta.
Alberta -- Antiquities.
- Electronic books.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: internet via World Wide Web.
- Light from Ancient Campfires is the first book in twenty years to gather together a comprehensive prehistoric archaeological record of the Northern Plains First Nations. In this important examination of the region’s earliest inhabitants, author Trevor Peck reviews the many changes of interpretation that have occurred in relevant literature published during the last two decades. Beginning with the earliest archaeological evidence for people in Alberta, Light from Ancient Campfires covers each period in chronological sequence. Throughout his research, Peck asks the following questions: What defines the cultural entity? How has our notion of it changed with increased information? What is the current state of thought concerning this issue? Light from Ancient Campfires provides a new definition for each archaeological phase, setting previous literature in a new light.
- Earliest inhabitants : prior to ca. 11,050 BP
Early prehistoric period : ca. 11,050 to 8,600 BP
Early to middle prehistoric period transition : ca. 8,500 to 7,500 BP
Middle prehistoric period : ca. 7,500 to 1,500 BP
Middle to late prehistoric period transition : ca. 1,500 to 1,350 BP
Late prehistoric period : ca. 1,350 to 250 BP
Late prehistoric to historic period transition : protohistoric period, ca. 250 to 200 BP
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 457-494) and index.
- Other format:
- Print version:
- Access Restriction:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access star
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|