Not Written in Stone : Jews, Constitutions, and Constitutionalism in Canada / Daniel J. Elazar, Michael Brown and Ira Robinson, editors.
- Other records:
- Ottawa, Ont. : University of Ottawa Press, 2003.
- Baltimore, Md. : Project MUSE, 2012
- Religions and beliefs series ; no. 11
Religions and beliefs series ; no. 11
1 online resource (280 pages)
- Synagogues -- Canada -- History -- Sources.
Jews -- Canada -- Societies, etc. -- By-laws.
Jews -- Canada -- History -- Sources.
- Electronic books.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: internet via World Wide Web.
System requirements: Adobe Acrobat or other PDF reader (latest version recommended), Internet Explorer or other browser (latest version recommended).
- Using long-ignored constitutions of various Jewish organizations, this unique book uncovers the political history of Canadian Jewry since its beginning during the 1700s. Building on the premise that Jews, since time immemorial, have written down their values and ideologies, this study effectively demonstrates how these writings record the principles and values that motivated a community.
- Contents; In Memoriam: Daniel J. Elazar; Foreword; Acknowledgements; Part I: The Setting; Issues and Contexts: An Introduction; Using Foundation Documents in the Study of Jewish Public Affairs; 'Do Justice to Us!' Jews and the Constitution of Canada; Part II: Analysis and Discussion; Kissing Cousins: The Early History of Congregations Shearith Israel of New York City and Montreal; Signs of the Times: Changing Notions of Citizenship, Governance, and Authority as Reflected in Synagogue Constitutions
They Work in Faithfulness: Constitutional Documents of Jewish Communal Organizations Other Than SynagoguesPart III: Selected Documents (Excerpts); Charitable and Welfare Organizations; Cultural and Educational Organizations; Federations; National Organizations; Patriotic Organizations; Professional Associations; Secular and Social Organizations; Self-Help Organizations; Social Organizations; Students' and Women's Organizations; Zionist and Israel-Related Organizations; Synagogues; Contributors
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references.
Description based on print record, CIP data from the publisher, and e-publication e-publication, viewed on June 4, 2021.
- Robinson, Ira, 1951- editor.
Brown, Michael (Michael G.), 1938- editor.
Elazar, Daniel Judah, editor.
- Other format:
- Print version:
- Access Restriction:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access star
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|