A Global History of Execution and the Criminal Corpse [electronic resource] / edited by Richard Ward.
- 1st ed. 2015.
- London : Palgrave Macmillan UK : Imprint: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.
- Palgrave Historical Studies in the Criminal Corpse and its Afterlife
Palgrave Historical Studies in the Criminal Corpse and its Afterlife
1 online resource (xvi, 313 pages) : illustrations.
- Social history.
- Local subjects:
- Social History. (search)
World History, Global and Transnational History. (search)
Cultural History. (search)
Modern History. (search)
Criminal Law and Criminal Procedure Law. (search)
Forensic Psychology. (search)
- The chapters 'Introduction: A Global History of Execution and the Criminal Corpse' and 'The Gibbet in the Landscape: Locating the Criminal Corpse in Mid-Eighteenth-Century England' are open access under a CC BY 4.0 license.
- Machine generated contents note:
Foreword; Pieter SpierenburgIntroduction: A Global History of Execution and the Criminal Corpse; Richard Ward1. Punishing the Dead: Execution and the Executed Body in Eighteenth-Century Ireland; James Kelly2. 'For the Benefit of Example': Crime-Scene Executions in England, 1720-1830; Steve Poole3. The Gibbet in the Landscape: Locating the Criminal Corpse in Mid-Eighteenth-Century England; Zoe Dyndor4. Never Equal before Death: Three Experiences of Dying as seen through Eighteenth-Century French Executions; Pascal Bastien5. The Ill-Treated Body: Punishing and Utilizing the Early Modern Suicide Corpse; Alexander Ka;stner and Evelyne Luef6. Execution and its Aftermath in the Nineteenth-Century British Empire; Clare Anderson7. Strangled by the Chinese and Kept 'Alive' by the British: Two Infamous Executions and the Discourse of Chinese Legal Despotism; Song-Chuan Chen8. Dismembering and Remembering the Body: Execution and Post-Execution Display in Africa, c.1870-2000; Stacey Hynd9. Burying the Past? The Post-Execution History of Nazi War Criminals; Caroline Sharples.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Ward, Richard. editor., Editor,
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1057/9781137444011 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|