Keys to Play : Music as a Ludic Medium from Apollo to Nintendo / Roger Moseley.
- Other records:
- Berkeley, CA : University of California Press, 
- Open Access e-Books
1 online resource (xv, 452 pages) : illustrations, music.
- Video games -- Psychological aspects.
Keyboards (Music) -- History.
Music -- Performance -- History.
- Electronic books.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: internet via World Wide Web.
System requirements: Adobe Acrobat or other PDF reader (latest version recommended), Internet Explorer or other browser (latest version recommended).
- A free ebook version of this title is available through Luminos, University of California Press's Open Access publishing program for monographs. Visit www.luminosoa.org to learn more. How do keyboards make music playable? Drawing on theories of media, systems, and cultural techniques, Keys to Play spans Greek myth and contemporary Japanese digital games to chart a genealogy of musical play and its animation via improvisation, performance, and recreation. As a paradigmatic digital interface, the keyboard forms a field of play on which the book's diverse objects of inquiry-from clavichords to PCs and eighteenth-century musical dice games to the latest rhythm-action titles-enter into analogical relations. Remapping the keyboard's topography by way of Mozart and Super Mario, who head an expansive cast of historical and virtual actors, Keys to Play invites readers to unlock ludic dimensions of music that are at once old and new.
Prelude. Press Any Key to Start
Part I. Fields and Interfaces of Musical Play
Key 1. Ludomusicality
Key 2. Digital Analogies
Part II. Play by Play: Improvisation, Performance, Recreation
Key 3. The Emergence of Musical Play
Key 4. High Scores: WAM vs. LVB
Key 5. Play Again?
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 365-418) and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Jan 2020)
- Other format:
- Print version:
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1525/9780520965096 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access star
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|