The Lever of Riches [electronic resource] : Technological Creativity and Economic Progress
- Other Title:
- lever of riches
- New York ; Oxford : Oxford University Press, 1990.
1 online resource (362 p.)
- Local subjects:
- Economic development -- History.
Technological innovations -- Economic aspects -- History.
Technological innovations -- Economic aspects.
- Electronic books.
- In a world of supercomputers, genetic engineering, and fiber optics, technological creativity is ever more the key to economic success. But why are some nations more creative than others, and why do some highly innovative societies--such as ancient China, or Britain in the industrial revolution--pass into stagnation? Beginning with a fascinating, concise history of technological progress, Mokyr sets the background for his analysis by tracing the major inventions and innovations that have transformed society since ancient Greece and Rome. What emerges from this survey is often surprising: the c
- Cover; Contents; Part I: Economic Growth and Technological Progress; 1. Introduction; Part II: Narrative; 2. Classical Antiquity; 3. The Middle Ages; 4. The Renaissance and Beyond: Technology 1500-1750; 5. The Years of Miracles: The Industrial Revolution, 1750-1830; 6. The Later Nineteenth Century: 1830-1914; Part III: Analysis and Comparisons; 7. Understanding Technological Progress; 8. Classical and Medieval Technology; 9. China and Europe; 10. The Industrial Revolution: Britain and Europe; Part IV: Dynamics and Technological Progress; 11. Evolution and the Dynamics of Technological Change
12. EpilogueBibliography; Index; A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J; K; L; M; N; O; P; Q; R; S; T; U; V; W; X; Y; Z
- Description based upon print version of record.
Description based on print version record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|