Clueless in academe [electronic resource] : how schooling obscures the life of the mind / by Gerald Graff.
- Other records:
- New Haven : Yale University Press, c2003.
1 online resource (320 p.)
- Education, Higher -- Social aspects -- United States.
Learning and scholarship -- United States.
- Electronic books.
- Gerald Graff argues that our schools and colleges make the intellectual life seem more opaque, narrowly specialized, and beyond normal learning capacities than it is or needs to be. Left clueless in the academic world, many students view the life of the mind as a secret society for which only an elite few qualify.In a refreshing departure from standard diatribes against academia, Graff shows how academic unintelligibility is unwittingly reinforced not only by academic jargon and obscure writing, but by the disconnection of the curriculum and the failure to exploit the many connections between academia and popular culture. Finally, Graff offers a wealth of practical suggestions for making the culture of ideas and arguments more accessible to students, showing how students can enter the public debates that permeate their lives.
- Front matter
INTRODUCTION In the Dark All Eggheads Are Gray
1 The University Is Popular Culture, But It Doesn't Know It Yet
2 The Problem Problem and Other Oddities of Academic Discourse
3 The Mixed-Message Curriculum
4 Two Cheers for the Argument Culture
5 Paralysis by Analysis?
6 Unlearning to Write
7 Scholars and Sound Bites: The Myth of Academic Difficulty
8 Why Johnny Can't Argue
9 Outing Criticism
10 The Application Guessing Game with Andrew Hoberek
11 Hidden Intellectualism
12 A Word for Words and a Vote for Quotes
13 Wrestling with the Devil
14 Deborah Meier's Progressive Traditionalism
epilogue: How to Write an Argument-What Students and Teachers Really Need to Know
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.12987/9780300132014 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|