Into the Black : JPL and the American Space Program, 1976-2004 / Peter J. Westwick.
- Other records:
- New Haven, CT : Yale University Press, 
1 online resource (1 online resource (xviii, 392 p.) ) ill.
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory (U.S.) -- History.
Astronautics -- United States -- History.
- Electronic books.
- In the decades since the mid-1970s, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, has led the quest to explore the farthest reaches of the solar system. JPL spacecraft-Voyager, Magellan, Galileo, the Mars rovers, and others-have brought the planets into close view. JPL satellites and instruments also shed new light on the structure and dynamics of earth itself, while their orbiting observatories opened new vistas on the cosmos. This comprehensive book recounts the extraordinary story of the lab's accomplishments, failures, and evolution from 1976 to the present day.This history of JPL encompasses far more than the story of the events and individuals that have shaped the institution. It also engages wider questions about relations between civilian and military space programs, the place of science and technology in American politics, and the impact of the work at JPL on the way we imagine the place of humankind in the universe.
ONE. The Inheritance
TWO. Planetary Exploration Triumphant
THREE. Planetary Exploration In Extremis
FOUR. External Relations And The Internal Environment
FIVE. Diversifi Cation
SIX. Return To The Military
SEVEN. Space Technology
EIGHT. The Rise And Decline Of Defense Programs
NINE. The Dividends Of Defense Programs
TEN. Space And Earth Science
ELEVEN. Jpl Under Allen
TWELVE. Recovery Of Flight Projects
THIRTEEN. Voyager Redux, Galileo, And Magellan
FOURTEEN. Faster, Better, Cheaper
FIFTEEN. Reengineering Jpl
SIXTEEN. The Tilting Triangle And Commercialization
SEVENTEEN. A Break In The Storm
EIGHTEEN. Annus Miserabilis
NINETEEN. Epilogue, 2001-2004
- Bibliographic Level Mode of Issuance: Monograph
Includes bibliographical references (p. 315-381) and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
- Publisher Number:
- 10.12987/9780300134582 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|