Holocaust Odysseys : The Jews of Saint-Martin-Vesubie and Their Flight through France and Italy / Susan Zuccotti.
- Other records:
- New Haven, CT : Yale University Press, 
1 online resource (1 online resource (xv, 285 p.,  p. of plates) ) ill., maps.
- Jews -- France -- Saint-Martin-Vésubie -- Biography.
Jewish children in the Holocaust -- France -- Saint-Martin-Vésubie -- Biography.
Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- France -- Personal narratives.
Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Italy -- Personal narratives.
World War, 1939-1945 -- Deportations from France -- Personal narratives.
Holocaust survivors -- Biography.
Saint-Martin-Vésubie (France) -- Biography.
- Electronic books.
- This book describes the ever-escalating dangers to which Jewish refugees and recent immigrants were subjected in France and Italy as the Holocaust marched forward. Susan Zuccotti uncovers a grueling yet complex history of suffering and resilience through historical documents and personal testimonies from members of nine central and eastern European Jewish families, displaced to France in the opening years of the Second World War. The chronicle of their lives reveals clearly that these Jewish families experienced persecution of far greater intensity than citizen Jews or long-time resident immigrants.The odyssey of the nine families took them from hostile Vichy France to the Alpine village of Saint-Martin-Vésubie and on to Italy, where German soldiers rather than hoped-for Allied troops awaited. Those who crossed over to Italy were either deported to Auschwitz or forced to scatter in desperate flight. Zuccotti brings to light the agonies of the refugees' unstable lives, the evolution of French policies toward Jews, the reasons behind the flight from the relative idyll ofSaint-Martin-Vésubie, and the choices that confronted those who arrived in Italy. Powerful archival evidence frames this history, while firsthand reports underscore the human cost of the nightmarish years of persecution.
chapter one Jewish Immigrants and Political Refugees in France, 1933-1939
chapter two Jewish Immigrants and Political Refugees in Belgium and Luxembourg before the War
chapter three Flight to Southern France, May and June 1940
chapter four Jewish Refugees in the Unoccupied Zone, May 1940-August 1942
chapter five Arrests in the Occupied Zone, 1941-1942
chapter six Arrests in the Unoccupied Zone, August 1942
chapter seven Narrow Escapes and Subsequent Arrests in the Unoccupied Zone, August-November 1942
chapter eight Saint-Martin-Vésubie, November 1942- September 1943
chapter nine Crossing the Alps after September 8, 1943
chapter ten Those Who Stayed Behind
chapter eleven The First Week in Italy, September 11-17, 1943
chapter twelve The Roundup in Valdieri and Borgo San Dalmazzo, September 18, 1943
chapter thirteen Deportation from Borgo San Dalmazzo
chapter fourteen Hiding in the Province of Cuneo
chapter fifteen Resistance
chapter sixteen Traveling to and Hiding in Florence, September and October 1943
chapter seventeen Arrests and Narrow Escapes in Florence, November 1943
chapter nineteen Auschwitz
chapter twenty .After the War
chapter twenty-one After the War
chapter twenty-two Journeys Back
- Bibliographic Level Mode of Issuance: Monograph
Includes bibliographical references (p. 233-271) and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
- Publisher Number:
- 10.12987/9780300134551 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|