Squint [electronic resource] : my journey with leprosy / José P. Ramirez, Jr.
- Other records:
- Jackson : University Press of Mississippi, c2009.
- Willie Morris books in memoir and biography.
Willie Morris books in memoir and biography
1 online resource (235 p.)
- Leprosy -- Patients -- Louisiana -- Carville -- Biography.
Leprosy -- Louisiana -- Carville -- History.
Ramirez, José P., 1948 -- -Health.
- Electronic books.
- Lying in a hospital bed, José P. Ramirez, Jr. (b. 1948) almost lost everything because of a misunderstood disease. When the health department doctor gave him the Handbook for Persons with Leprosy, Ramirez learned his fate. Such a diagnosis in 1968 meant exile and hospitalization in the only leprosarium in the continental United States--Carville, Louisiana, 750 miles from his home in Laredo, Texas. In Squint: My Journey with Leprosy , Ramirez recalls being taken from his family in a hearse and thrown into a world filled with fear. He and his loved ones struggled against the stigma associated wi
- Contents; Foreword; Acknowledgments; CHAPTER 1 No One Told You?; CHAPTER 2 The Journey; CHAPTER 3 Treatment at Last; CHAPTER 4 Learning about Carville; CHAPTER 5 Life at Carville; CHAPTER 6 Four Months and Counting; CHAPTER 7 First Visit to Laredo; CHAPTER 8 Manhood and Beyond; CHAPTER 9 The Magic of Dreaming; CHAPTER 10 The Power of Motherly Love; CHAPTER 11 Life after Death; CHAPTER 12 The Road to Advocacy; CHAPTER 13 Change Is Good; CHAPTER 14 Living with a Clean Soul; CHAPTER 15 Commonly Asked Questions; Notes; Bibliography
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 219-220).
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|