The Making of an Economist, Redux / David Colander.
- Course Book
- Princeton, NJ : Princeton University Press, 
1 online resource (281 p.)
- Graduate students -- United States.
Economists -- United States.
Economics -- Study and teaching (Graduate) -- United States.
- Electronic books.
- Economists seem to be everywhere in the media these days. But what exactly do today's economists do? What and how are they taught? Updating David Colander and Arjo Klamer's classic The Making of an Economist, this book shows what is happening in elite U.S. economics Ph.D. programs. By examining these programs, Colander gives a view of cutting-edge economics--and a glimpse at its likely future. And by comparing economics education today to the findings of the original book, the new book shows how much--and in what ways--the field has changed over the past two decades. The original book led to a reexamination of graduate education by the profession, and has been essential reading for prospective graduate students. Like its predecessor, The Making of an Economist, Redux is likely to provoke discussion within economics and beyond. The book includes new interviews with students at Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, Chicago, and Columbia. In these conversations, the students--the next generation of elite economists--colorfully and frankly describe what they think of their field and what graduate economics education is really like. The book concludes with reflections by Colander, Klamer, and Robert Solow. This inside look at the making of economists will interest anyone who wants to better understand the economics profession. An indispensible tool for anyone thinking about graduate education in economics, this edition is complete with colorful interviews and predictions about the future of cutting-edge economics.
Introduction: Understanding Economics and Economists
Part I. The Survey Results
Part II. Conversations with Graduate Students
Part III. Reflections on the Survey and Interviews
- Update of: The making of an economist / Arjo Klamer and David Colander.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -260) and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9781400828647 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|