Power and the Past [electronic resource] : Collective Memory and International Relations / Eric Langenbacher and Yossi Shain, editors.
- Washington, D.C. : Georgetown University Press, c2010.
1 online resource (251 p.)
- World politics -- 21st century.
World politics -- 20th century.
International relations -- Psychological aspects.
- Electronic books.
- Only recently have international relations scholars started to seriously examine the influence of collective memory on foreign policy formation and relations between states and peoples. The ways in which the memories of past events are interpreted, misinterpreted, or even manipulated in public discourse create the context that shapes international relations. Power and the Past brings together leading history and international relations scholars to provide a groundbreaking examination of the impact of collective memory. This timely study makes a contribution to developing a theory of memory and
- Contents; Introduction: Twenty-first-Century Memories; 1 Collective Memory as a Factor in Political Culture and International Relations; 2 Germany's National Identity, Collective Memory, and Role Abroad; 3 Collective Memory and German-Polish Relations; 4 Building Up a Memory: Austria, Switzerland, and Europe Face the Holocaust; 5 Memory, Tradition, and Revival: Who, Then, Speaks for the Jews?; 6 September 11 in the Rearview Mirror: Contemporary Policies and Perceptions of the Past; 7 The Eventful Dates 12/12 and 9/11: Tales of Power and Tales of Experience in Contemporary History
8 The Use and Abuse of History in Berlin and Washington since 9/11: A Plea for a New Era of Candor9 Of Shrines and Hooligans: The Structure of the History Problem in East Asia after 9/11; 10 Popular Culture and Collective Memory: Remembering and Forgetting in Chinese-U.S. Relations after 9/11; Conclusion: Collective Memory and the Logic of Appropriate Behavior; Contributors; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Shain, Yossi, 1956-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|