Achieving strong teamwork practices in hospital labor and delivery units [electronic resource] / Donna O. Farley ... [et al.].
- Santa Monica, Calif. : RAND, 2010.
- Technical report (Rand Corporation)
1 online resource (150 p.)
- Maternal health care teams.
Maternal health services -- Administration.
- Electronic books.
- To learn how hospital labor and delivery units can achieve effective and sustainable teamwork practices and how much such practices affect staff experiences and patient outcomes, RAND researchers studied five units as they implemented improvements in their teamwork practices over a one-year period. They identified some key factors required by any given strategy for teamwork improvement but no standard template for implementation.
- Cover; Title Page; Copyright; Preface; Contents; Figures; Tables; Summary; Acknowledgments; Abbreviations; Chapter One - Introduction and Background; Research Objectives; Background; The Value of Teamwork in Health-Care Delivery; The MedTeams and Team STEPPS Systems; A Clinical Trial That Tested Teamwork Practices; Overview of the Evaluation; Quality-Improvement Framework; Relationship Between the Teamwork Implementation and Our Evaluation; Organization of This Report; Chapter Two - Study Design and Methods; Conceptual Model for Quality-Improvement Implementation
Overview of the Evaluation Design Selection of the Participating Labor and Delivery Units; Human-Subject Protection Requirements; Process-Evaluation Methods; Longitudinal Assessment of Teamwork-Implementation Activities; Direct Observations of Teamwork Practices in Care Delivery; Outcome-Evaluation Methods; Effects on Staff Perceptions and Knowledge of Teamwork; Effects on Patient Outcomes; Obtaining and Use of the Adverse Outcome Index Data; Analysis of the Adverse Outcome Index Trend Data; Limitations of the Evaluation; Chapter Three - Findings Regarding Teamwork Implementation
Baseline Status and Teamwork Strategies Pursued Site 1; Site 2; Site 3; Site 4; Site 5; Implementation Priorities and Actions; Team Organization and Operation; Teamwork Training and Coaching; Implementation of Teamwork Improvements; Achievement of Practice Adoption and Internalization; Implementation Experiences; Retrospective Assessments by the Participating Labor and Delivery Units; The Teamwork Implementation Team; Teamwork Training and Coaching; Implementing Teamwork Improvements; What They Would Do Differently; Factors Affecting Teamwork Implementation; Concluding Questions
Observed Teamwork Practices Key Process-Evaluation Findings; What Training and Actions Are Required to Achieve a High Level of Teamwork in the Labor and Delivery Process?; How Strongly Do Self-Reported Experiences in Implementing Teamwork Improvements Correlate with Actual Levels of Teamwork as Measured by Direct Observation of the Labor and Delivery Process?; Summary; Chapter Four - Effects of Teamwork Improvement on Unit Staff and Patient Outcomes; Perceptions and Knowledge of Labor and Delivery Unit Staff; Status at Baseline
Changes in Staff Perception and Knowledge During Teamwork Implementation Effects of Implementation Actions on Staff Perceptions and Knowledge; Effects of Teamwork Improvement on Patient Outcomes; Key Outcome-Evaluation Findings; How Does Achieving Effective Teamwork Affect the Perceptions and Experiences of Staff Working in Labor and Delivery Units?; What Effects Does Effective Teamwork Have on Labor and Delivery Outcomes for Mothers and Newborn Infants?; Summary; Chapter Five - Synthesis of Findings and Conclusions; Synthesis of Findings from the Study; Implications; Appendixes
A. Tools and Strategies for Teamwork
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Farley, Donna.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|