Larry Brown and the blue-collar South [electronic resource] / edited by Jean W. Cash and Keith Perry.
- Other records:
- Jackson : University Press of Mississippi, c2008.
1 online resource (221 p.)
- Working class in literature.
Rural conditions in literature.
Southern States -- In literature.
Mississippi -- In literature.
Brown, Larry, 1951-2004 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Electronic books.
- Larry Brown and the Blue-Collar South considers the writer's full body of work, placing it in the contexts of southern literature, Mississippi writing, and literary work about the working class. Collectively, the essays explore such subjects as Brown's treatment of class politics, race and racism, the after effects of the Vietnam War on American culture, the evolution of the South from a plantation-based economy to a postindustrial one, and male-female relations. The role of Brown's mentors--Ellen Douglas and Barry Hannah--in shaping his work is discussed, as is Brown's connection to such write
- Contents; Foreword: A Tribute to Larry Brown; Larry Brown: An Introduction; Facing the Music: What's Wrong with All Those Happy Endings; Implicating the Reader: Dirty Work and the Burdens of Southern History; Saving Them from Their Lives: Storytelling and Self-Fulfillment in Big Bad Love; Economics of the Cracker Landscape: Poverty as an Environmental Issue in Larry Brown's Joe; The White Trash Cowboys of Father and Son; Hard Traveling: Fay's Deep-South Landscape of Violence; Home and the Open Road: The Nonfiction of Larry Brown; The Rabbit Factory: Escaping the Isolation of the Cage
A Miracle of Catfish and the Recursions of Art Fireman-Writer, Bad Boy Novelist, King of Grit Lit: "Building" Larry Brown(s) at Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill; Afterword: On The Rough South of Larry Brown: An Interview with Filmmaker Gary Hawkins; Contributors; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Cash, Jean W., 1938-
Perry, Keith Ronald, 1967-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|