Speaking of Jews : Rabbis, Intellectuals, and the Creation of an American Public Identity / Lila Corwin Berman.
- Other records:
- Berkeley, CA : University of California Press, 
- S. Mark Taper Foundation imprint in Jewish studies.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation imprint in Jewish studies
1 online resource (281 p.)
- Religion and sociology -- United States.
Judaism and the social sciences.
Jewish leadership -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
Jews -- United States -- Social conditions -- 20th century.
Jews -- United States -- Identity.
United States -- Ethnic relations.
- Electronic books.
- Lila Corwin Berman asks why, over the course of the twentieth century, American Jews became increasingly fascinated, even obsessed, with explaining themselves to their non-Jewish neighbors. What she discovers is that language itself became a crucial tool for Jewish group survival and integration into American life. Berman investigates a wide range of sources-radio and television broadcasts, bestselling books, sociological studies, debates about Jewish marriage and intermarriage, Jewish missionary work, and more-to reveal how rabbis, intellectuals, and others created a seemingly endless array of explanations about why Jews were indispensable to American life. Even as the content of these explanations developed and shifted over time, the very project of self-explanation would become a core element of Jewishness in the twentieth century.
- Front matter
Introduction: Presenting Jews to America
1. Spiritual Missions after the Great War: The Reform Movement and the Jewish Chautauqua Society
2. The Ghetto and Beyond: The Rising Authority of American Jewish Social Science in Interwar America
3. The Sacred and Sociological Dilemma of Jewish Intermarriage
4. Serving the Public Good and Serving God in 1940's America
5. Constructing an Ethnic America: Oscar Handlin, Nathan Glazer, and Post-World War II Social Research
6. What Is a Jew? Missionaries, Outreach, and the Cold War Ethnic Challenge
7. A Jewish Marilyn Monroe and the Civil-Rights-Era Crisis in Jewish Self-Presentation
Conclusion: Speaking of Jews
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 235-251) and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|