Contested Territories [electronic resource] : Native Americans and Non-Natives in the Lower Great Lakes, 1700-1850 / edited by Charles Beatty-Medina and Melissa Rinehart.
- Other records:
- East Lansing : Michigan State University Press, c2012.
1 online resource (256 p.)
- Indians of North America -- Great Lakes Region (North America) -- History.
Indians of North America -- First contact with Europeans -- Great Lakes Region (North America).
Indians of North America -- Land tenure -- Great Lakes Region (North America).
Great Lakes Region (North America) -- Politics and government.
Great Lakes Region (North America) -- Race relations.
Great Lakes Region (North America) -- History.
- Electronic books.
- A remarkable multifaceted history, Contested Territories examines a region that played an essential role in America''s post-revolutionary expansion-the Lower Great Lakes region, once known as the Northwest Territory. As French, English, and finally American settlers moved westward and intersected with Native American communities, the ethnogeography of the region changed drastically, necessitating interactions that were not always peaceful. Using ethnohistorical methodologies, the seven essays presented here explore rapidly changing cultural dynamics in the region and reconstruct in engaging
- Contents; Foreword by Greg O'Brien; Acknowledgments; Introduction by Melissa Rinehart and Charles Beatty-Medina; A Year at Niagara: Negotiating Coexistence in the Eastern Great Lakes, 1763-1764 - Daniel Ingram; "Foolish Young Men" and the Contested Ohio Country, 1783- 1795 - Sarah E. Miller; Native American- French Interactions in Eighteenth-Century Southwest Michigan: The View from Fort St. Joseph - Michael S. Nassaney, William M. Cremin, and LisaMarie Malischke; Old Friends in New Territories: Delawares and Quakers in the Old Northwest Territory - Dawn Marsh
Delawares in Eastern Ohio after the Treaty of Greenville: The Goshen Mission in Context - Amy C. SchuttMiami Resistance and Resilience during the Removal Era - Melissa Rinehart; The Politics of Indian Removal on the Wyandot Reserve, 1817- 1843 - James Buss; Bibliography; Contributors; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references.
Description based on print version record.
- Rinehart, Melissa.
Beatty Medina, Charles.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|