Their Time Has Come : Youth with Disabilities on the Cusp of Adulthood / Valerie Leiter.
- New Brunswick, NJ : Rutgers University Press, 
- Rutgers series in childhood studies.
Rutgers Series in Childhood Studies
1 online resource (204 p.)
- Young adults with disabilities -- Employment.
Young adults with disabilities -- Education.
Youth with disabilities -- Services for.
- Electronic books.
- The lives of youth with disabilities have changed radically in the past fifty years. Youth who are coming of age right now are the first generation to receive educational services throughout childhood and adolescence. Disability policies have opened up opportunities to youth, and they have responded by getting higher levels of education than ever before. Yet many youth are being left behind, compared to their peers without disabilities. Youth with disabilities often still face major obstacles to independence. In Their Time Has Come, Valerie Leiter argues that there are crucial missing links between federal disability policies and the lives of young people. Youth and their parents struggle to gather information about the resources that disability policies have created, and youth are not typically prepared to use their disability rights effectively. Her argument is based on thorough examination of federal disability policy and interviews with young people with disabilities, their parents, and rehabilitation professionals. Attention is given to the diversity of expectations, the resources available to them, and the impact of federal policy and public and private attitudes on their transition to adulthood.
1. A Crisis Situation?
2. The Rules Have Changed
3. Participation and Voice
4. Making Their Own Maps
5. College, Rights, and Goodness of Fit
6. The End of Entitlement
7. (Im)permanent Markers of Adulthood
8. Missing Links
About the Author
- Bibliographic Level Mode of Issuance: Monograph
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 05. Mai 2020)
- Publisher Number:
- 10.36019/9780813553306 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|