Deep things out of darkness [electronic resource] : a history of natural history / John G. T. Anderson.
- Berkeley : University of California Press, c2013.
1 online resource (363 p.)
- Natural history -- History.
Naturalists -- History.
- Electronic books.
- Natural history, the deliberate observation of the environment, is arguably the oldest science. From purely practical beginnings as a way of finding food and shelter, natural history evolved into the holistic, systematic study of plants, animals, and the landscape. Deep Things out of Darkness chronicles the rise, decline, and ultimate revival of natural history within the realms of science and public discourse. Ecologist John G. T. Anderson focuses his account on the lives and contributions of an eclectic group of men and women, from John Ray, John Muir, Charles Darwin, and Rachel Carson, who endured remarkable hardships and privations in order to learn more about their surroundings. Written in an engaging narrative style and with an extensive bibliography of primary sources, the book charts the journey of the naturalist's endeavor from prehistory to the present, underscoring the need for natural history in an era of dynamic environmental change.
List Of Illustrations
Introduction: Adam'S Task, Job'S Challenge
1. From Hunter-Gatherers To Kings Of Kings
2. A Wonderful Man: Aristotle And Greek Natural History
3. The Spoils Of An Empire
4. An Emperor And His Descendants
5. New Worlds
6. Ray, Linnaeus, And The Ordering Of The World
7. Journeys Near And Far
8. Before The Origin
9. Forms Most Beautiful: Darwin
10. The Geography Of Nature: Humboldt
11. Hearts Of Light: Wallace And Bates
12. Spoils Of Other Empires
13. Breadfruit And Icebergs
14. Naturalists In New England: Thoreau, Agassiz, And Gray
15. From Muir And Alexander To Leopold And Carson
16. The Slow Death (And Resurrection) Of Natural History
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1525/9780520954458 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|