Humphrey Jennings / Keith Beattie.
- Other records:
- Manchester, U.K. ; New York : Manchester University Press ; New York : Distributed exclusively in the USA by Palgrave Macmillan, 2010.
- British film makers.
British film makers
1 online resource (184 p.)
- Jennings, Humphrey -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Electronic books.
- Humphrey Jennings has been described as the only real poet that British cinema has produced. His documentary films are remarkable records of Britain at peace and war, and his range of representational approaches transcended accepted notions of wartime propaganda and revised the strict codes of British documentary film of the 1930's and 1940's. Poet, propagandist, surrealist and documentary film maker - Jennings' work embodies an outstanding mix of startling apprehension, personal expression and representational innovation. This book carefully examines and expertly explains the central components
- Modernity, myth, colour and collage : the early films
Work and leisure : Spare time
Sound, image and nation : Words for battle and Listen to Britain
Documentary reconstruction and prognostication : Fires were started and The silent village
"What will befall Britain?" : A diary for Timothy
An ambiguous national iconography : Family portrait
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Includes filmography (p. -153).
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|