Preparing for the possibility of a North Korean collapse / Bruce W. Bennett.
- Other records:
- Santa Monica : RAND Corporation, 
1 online resource (469 p.)
- Failed states -- Korea (North).
Korean reunification question (1945- ).
Korea (North) -- Economic conditions -- 21st century.
Korea (North) -- Foreign relations -- United States.
Korea (North) -- Politics and government -- 2011-.
United States -- Foreign relations -- Korea (North).
- Electronic books.
- A North Korean government collapse would have serious consequences, including a humanitarian disaster and civil war. The Republic of Korea and the United States can help mitigate the consequences, seeking unification by being prepared to deliver humanitarian aid in the North, stop conflict, demilitarize the North Korean military over time, secure and eliminate North Korean weapons of mass destruction, and manage Chinese intervention.
- Cover; Title Page; Copyright; Preface; Contents; Figures; Tables; Summary; Acknowledgments; Abbreviations; CHAPTER ONE Introduction; Historical Background; The Types of Collapse; Planning and Preparing for a North Korean Government Collapse; Methodology; The Need for Better Preparation; Report Outline; CHAPTER TWO Possibilities for Collapse; Conceptualizing Government Collapse; The Uncertain North Korean Situation; The Background of Collapse and Potential Future Shocks; North Korean Economic Difficulties; North Korean Agriculture, Food, and Health; Damage to the North Korean Control System
Failing Information ControlThe Culture of Economic Criminality: Black Markets and Bribery; Other Rebellious Behavior in North Korea; The Weakened North Korean Military; Concluding Commentary on North Korean Conditions; How Might the North Korean Government Collapse?; Getting a ROK Decision to Intervene and Seek Unification; Two Key Assumptions; CHAPTER THREE The Potential Consequences of Collapse; The Potential Consequences; Consequences in North Korea; The Failure of Government Functions; Conflict; Severe Famine, Starvation, and Other Health Consequences; Human Rights Consequences
Internally Displaced People and RefugeesPotential Consequences in South Korea; North Korean Military Threats to the ROK as a Collapse Develops; North Korean Military Threats to the ROK Postcollapse; Other North Korean Security Threats to the ROK Postcollapse; The Potential Implications of Chinese Intervention; Implications for the United States; Military Damage; Other Costs; ROK and U.S. Decisions to Intervene; Military Implications of a ROK and U.S. Intervention in North Korea; The Financial Costs of Intervention; Some Political Costs; Arranging an Intervention in North Korea
Chinese InvolvementWould China Intervene?; Potential Consequences of Chinese Intervention; Potential Consequences of China Not Intervening; CHAPTER FOUR Addressing North Korean Thinking About Unification; The Challenges of North Korean Indoctrination and Fear; North Korea Is Rich, South Korea Is Poor; The United States Is the Enemy; The Challenge of North Koreans' Fears for Their Future; Overcoming North Korean Indoctrination and Fear; Initial Messages: "The ROK Is a Great Country"; Next Steps: The North Korean People Can Attain ROK Plenty
Building Positive North Korean Postunification Quality-of-Life ExpectationsOrganizing and Timing These Messages; Do Not Go Too Far: North Korea Is Not Yet Ready for Open Rebellion; The Failures of the North Korean Government; Other Key Messages; Preventing North Korean Disaffection; CHAPTER FIVE Challenges of and Responses to Humanitarian Disaster; Challenges That Would Contribute to a Humanitarian Disaster; Mitigating the Humanitarian Disaster Challenges; Policies for Mitigating Humanitarian Disaster; Strategies for Providing for North Korean Welfare Through Humanitarian Aid
Strategies for Providing for North Korean Welfare Through Economic Stability
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (ebrary, viewed October 22, 2013).
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|