A persistent threat : the evolution of al Qa'ida and other Salafi Jihadists / Seth G. Jones ; cover image, Oleg Zabielin.
- Other records:
- Santa Monica, California : RAND, 2014.
1 online resource (109 p.)
- Islamic fundamentalism -- Middle East.
- Electronic books.
- This report examines the status and evolution of al Qa'ida and other Salafi-jihadist groups, and uses qualitative and quantitative data to assess whether this movement has strengthened. The author uses this analysis to examine U.S. strategic options to counter al Qa'ida and other terrorist groups based on the threat level and the capacity of local governments.
- Cover; Title Page; Copyright; Preface; Contents; Figures and Tables; Summary; Acknowledgments; Chapter One: Introduction; Key Definitions; Research Design; Outline of the Report; Chapter Two: A Decentralized Movement; A Diffuse Structure; Differing Ideological Views and Objectives; Far Enemy Versus Near Enemy; Geographic Scope; Attacking Shi'a; Other Differences; Causes of Decentralization; A Growing Vulnerability; Chapter Three: Growing Capabilities; Number and Size of Groups; Capabilities and Levels of Violence; Core al Qa'ida and Affiliates; Other Salafi Jihadists
Varied Threat to the U.S. HomelandWhy the Expansion of Salafi-Jihadist Groups?; Chapter Four: Strategic Options; Strategy 1: Engagement; Strategy 2: Forward Partnering; Strategy 3: Offshore Balancing; A Strategic Framework; Appendix: List of Salafi-Jihadist Groups; About the Author; Endnotes; Index
- "Prepared for the Office of the Secretary of Defense."
"Approved for public release; distribution unlimited."
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (ebrary, viewed August 1, 2014).
- Rand Corporation, author.
National Defense Research Institute (U.S.), author.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|