Libraries in the Ancient World / Lionel Casson.
- Other records:
- New Haven, CT : Yale University Press, 
1 online resource (192 p.)
- Libraries -- History -- To 400.
- This delightful book tells the story of ancient libraries from their very beginnings, when "books" were clay tablets and writing was a new phenomenon. Renowned classicist Lionel Casson takes us on a lively tour, from the royal libraries of the most ancient Near East, through the private and public libraries of Greece and Rome, down to the first Christian monastic libraries. To the founders of the first public libraries of the Greek world goes the credit for creating the prototype of today's library buildings and the science of organizing books in them.Casson recounts the development of ancient library buildings, systems, holdings, and patrons, addressing questions on a wide variety of topics, such as:• What was the connection between the rise in education and literacy and the growth of libraries?• Who contributed to the early development of public libraries, especially the great library at Alexandria?• What did ancient libraries include in their holdings?• How did ancient libraries acquire books?• What was the nature of publishing in the Greek and Roman world?• How did different types of users (royalty, scholars, religious figures) and different kinds of "books" (tablets, scrolls, codices) affect library arrangements?• How did Christianity transform the nature of library holdings?Just as a library yields unexpected treasures to a meandering browser, this entertaining book offers to its perusers the surprising history of the rise and development of ancient libraries-a fascinating story never told before.
1. The Beginnings: The Ancient Near East
2. The Beginnings: Greece
3. The Library of Alexandria
4. The Growth of Libraries
5. The Beginnings: Rome
6. Libraries of the Roman Empire: The City of Rome
7. Libraries of the Roman Empire: Outside the City of Rome
8. From Roll to Codex
9. Toward the Middle Ages
- Electronic reproduction. Askews and Holts. Mode of access: World Wide Web.
Bibliographic Level Mode of Issuance: Monograph
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
- Publisher Number:
- 10.12987/9780300133134 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|