Overthrowing geography [electronic resource] : Jaffa, Tel Aviv, and the struggle for Palestine, 1880-1948 / Mark LeVine.
- Other Title:
- Jaffa, Tel Aviv, and the struggle for Palestine, 1880-1948
- Berkeley : University of California Press, c2005.
1 online resource (460 p.)
- City planning -- Israel -- Tel Aviv.
Cities and towns -- Israel -- History.
Architecture -- Israel.
Jews -- Colonization -- Palestine -- History -- 20th century.
Tel Aviv (Israel) -- History -- 20th century.
Jaffa (Tel Aviv, Israel) -- History -- 20th century.
Palestine -- Ethnic relations.
Tel Aviv (Israel) -- In literature.
Jaffa (Tel Aviv, Israel) -- In literature.
- Electronic books.
- This landmark book offers a truly integrated perspective for understanding the formation of Jewish and Palestinian Arab identities and relations in Palestine before 1948. Beginning with the late Ottoman period Mark LeVine explores the evolving history and geography of two cities: Jaffa, one of the oldest ports in the world, and Tel Aviv, which was born alongside Jaffa and by 1948 had annexed it as well as its surrounding Arab villages.
- Illustrations; Tables; Acknowledgments; Introduction; 1 Modern Cities, Colonial Spaces, and the Struggle for Modernity in the Eastern Mediterranean; 2 From Cedars to Oranges: A History of the Jaffa-Tel Aviv Region from Antiquity to the Late Ottoman Period; 3 Taming the Sahara: The Birth of Tel Aviv and the Last Years of Ottoman Rule; 4 Crossing the Border: Intercommunal Relations in the Jaffa-Tel Aviv Region during the Mandate Period; 5 A Nation from the Sands? Images of Jaffa and Tel Aviv in Palestinian Arab, Zionist, and Israeli Literature, Poetry, and Prose
6 Ceci N'est Pas Jaffa (This Is Not Jaffa): Architecture, Planning, and the Evolution of National Identities in Jaffa and Tel Aviv, 1880-19487 Planning to Conquer: The Role of Town Planning in the Expansion of Tel Aviv, 1921-1948; 8 The New-Old Jaffa: Locating the Urban, the Public, and the Modern in Tel Aviv's Arab Neighborhood; Notes; Bibliography; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 377-416) and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|