Anglo-French relations in the twentieth century [electronic resource] : rivalry and cooperation / edited by Alan Sharp and Glyn Stone.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2002.
1 online resource (368 p.)
- Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- France.
Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- 20th century.
France -- Foreign relations -- Great Britain.
France -- Foreign relations -- 20th century.
- Electronic books.
- Anglo-French Relations in the Twentieth Century is a collection of studies on the key episodes of the difficult and often discordant Anglo-French exchange over the past century. The authors critically re-evaluate: * the role of Spain in Anglo-French relations up to 1918 * the missed opportunity of the 1920s with the failure of France and Britain to find sufficient common ground and co-operation * the short-lived Anglo-French alliance and the Second World War * the degree of Anglo-French Imperial co-operation * the Suez Crisis * British and French policies on Europ
- Book Cover; Title; Contents; List of contributors; Introduction ALAN SHARP AND GLYN STONE; The elusive balance: British foreign policy and the French entente before the First World War THOMAS OTTE; The Conservative party and the Anglo-French entente, 1905 1914 FRANK MCDONOUGH; The poor relation: Spain in Anglo-French relations, 1898 1914 KEITH HAMILTON; Britain and France at war, 1914 1918 DAVID DUTTON; Britain, France and the Russian Civil War, 1918 1920 DAVID WATSON; Lloyd George, Clemenceau and the elusive Anglo-French guarantee treaty, 1919: 'A disastrous episode'? ANTHONY LENTIN
Anglo-French relations from Versailles to Locarno, 1919 1925: The quest for security ALAN SHARPBritain, France and the League of Nations in the 1920s RUTH HENIG; The search for disarmament: Anglo-French relations, 1929 1934 CAROLYN KITCHING; From entente to alliance: Anglo-French relations,1935 1939 GLYN STONE; France's economic and financial crisis: The view from the Foreign Office, the Treasury and the Bank of England, 1936 1939 MICHAEL DOCKRILL; Entente broken and renewed: Britain and France, 1940 1945 PHILIP BELL
The most important of the Western nations: France's place in Britain's post-war foreign policy, 1945 1949 SEAN GREENWOODThe failure of the new entente cordiale, 1947 1950 JOHN YOUNG; Anthony Eden, the Foreign Office and Anglo-French relations, 1951 1954 KEVIN RUANE; From Dien Bien Phu to Evian: Anglo-French imperial relations, 1954 1962 MARTIN THOMAS; The Cold War, European Community and Anglo-French relations, 1958 1998 JOANNE WRIGHT; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Sharp, Alan.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|