Legally poisoned [electronic resource] : how the law puts us at risk from toxicants / Carl F. Cranor.
- Other records:
- Cambridge, Mass. : Harvard University Press, 2011.
1 online resource (328 p.)
- Environmental health -- Government policy -- United States.
Pollution -- Law and legislation -- United States.
- Electronic books.
- Take a random walk through your life and you'll find it is awash in industrial, often toxic, chemicals. Sip water from a plastic bottle and ingest bisphenol A. Prepare dinner in a non-stick frying pan or wear a layer of Gore-Tex only to be exposed to perfluorinated compounds. Hang curtains, clip your baby into a car seat, watch television-all are manufactured with brominated flame-retardants. Cosmetic ingredients, industrial chemicals, pesticides, and other compounds enter our bodies and remain briefly or permanently. Far too many suspected toxic hazards are unleashed every day that affect the development and function of our brain, immune system, reproductive organs, or hormones. But no public health law requires product testing of most chemical compounds before they enter the market. If products are deemed dangerous, toxicants must be forcibly reduced or removed-but only after harm has been done. In this scientifically rigorous legal analysis, Carl Cranor argues that just as pharmaceuticals and pesticides cannot be sold without pre-market testing, other chemical products should be subject to the same safety measures. Cranor shows, in terrifying detail, what risks we run, and that it is entirely possible to design a less dangerous commercial world.
- Nowhere to hide
Discovering disease, dysfunction, and death by molecules
Caveat parens : a nation at risk from contaminants
Reckless nation : how existing laws fail to protect children
A more prudent approach to reduce toxic invasions
What kind of world do we want to create?.
- Bibliographic Level Mode of Issuance: Monograph
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.4159/harvard.9780674058927 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|