Refiguring Authority [electronic resource] : Reading, Writing, and Rewriting in Cervantes / E. Michael Gerli.
- Lexington, Kentucky : The University Press of Kentucky, 1995.
- Studies in Romance languages (Lexington, Ky.) ; 39.
Studies in Romance languages ; 39
1 online resource (154 p.)
Spanish language -- Classical period, 1500-1700 -- Rhetoric.
Cervantes Saavedra, Miguel de, 1547-1616 -- Knowledge -- Literature.
Cervantes Saavedra, Miguel de, 1547-1616 -- Technique.
- Electronic books.
- In this wide-ranging study E. Michael Gerli shows how Cervantes and his contemporaries ceaselessly imitated one another -- glossing works, dismembering and reconstructing them, writing for and against one another -- while playing sophisticated games of literary one-upmanship. The result was that literature in late Renaissance Spain was often more than a simple matter of source and imitation. It must be understood as a far more subtle, palimpsest-like process of forging endless series of texts from other texts, thus linking closely the practices of reading, writing, and rewriting. Like all major
- Cover; Title; Copyright; Dedication; Contents; Acknowledgments; A Note on Translations and Editions; Introduction: Reading, Writing, and Rewriting in Cervantes; 1. The Dialectics of Writing: El licendado Vidriera and the Picaresque; 2. A Novel Rewriting: Romance and Irony in La gitanilla; 3. Rewriting Myth and History: Discourses of Race, Marginality, and Resistance in the Captive's Tale (Don Quijote I, 37-42); 4. Unde veritas: Readings, Writings, Voices, and Revisions in the Text (Don Quijote I, 8-9)
5. Aristotle in Africa: Interrogating Verisimilitude and Rewriting Theory in El gallardo español 6. Rewriting Lope de Vega: El retablo de las maravillas, Cervantes' Arte nuevo de deshacer comedias; Conclusion; Notes; Bibliography; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -133) and index.
Description based on print version record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|