1816 : America rising / C. Edward Skeen.
- Lexington, Kentucky : The University Press of Kentucky, 2003. , ©2003
1 online resource (317 p.)
- Political culture -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
National characteristics, American.
United States -- History -- 1809-1817.
United States -- Politics and government -- 1809-1817.
United States -- History -- War of 1812 -- Influence.
- Electronic books.
- ""The year 1816 found America on the cusp of political, social,cultural, and economic modernity. Celebrating its fortieth year of independence, the country's sense of self was maturing. Americans, who had emerged from the War of 1812 with their political systemsintact, embraced new opportunities. For the first time, citizens viewed themselves not as members of a loose coalition of states but as part of a larger union. This optimism was colored, however, by bizarre weather. Periods of extreme cold and severe drought swept the northern states and the upper south throughout 1816, which was someti
- Cover; Title; Copyright; Contents; Acknowledgments; Introduction; 1. Year Without a Summer; 2. Legacy of the War of 1812; 3. The Fourteenth Congress Begins; 4. A Tariff and a Bank; 5. Compensation Act of 1816; 6. Internal Improvements; 7. Fourth of July Celebrations; 8. National Defense; 9. State Developments; 10. Crime and Punishment; 11. The Humanitarian Impulse; 12. Election of 1816; Epilogue; Notes; Bibliographical Essay; Index; A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J; K; L; M; N; O; P; Q; R; S; T; U; V; W; Y
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -289) and index.
Description based on print version record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|