A companion to James Madison and James Monroe [electronic resource] / edited by Stuart Leibiger.
- Chichester, West Sussex ; Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2012, c2013.
- Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History
Blackwell companions to American history--Presidential companions
1 online resource (607 p.)
- Madison, James, 1751-1836.
Monroe, James, 1758-1831.
Presidents -- United States -- Biography.
United States -- Politics and government -- 1783-1865.
- Electronic books.
- A Companion to James Madison and James Monroe features essays from leading academics that consider various aspects of the lives and legacies of our fourth and fifth presidents. Provides historians and students of history with a wealth of new insights into the lives and achievements of two of America's most accomplished statesmen, James Madison and James MonroeFeatures 32 state-of-the field historiographic essays from leading academics that consider various aspects of the lives and legacies of our fourth and fifth presidentsSynthesizes the latest findings,
- A COMPANION TO JAMES MADISON AND JAMES MONROE; Contents; List of Illustrations; Notes on Contributors; Acknowledgments; Introduction; 1 James Madison's Political Thought: The Ideas of an Acting Politician; Introduction; Revolutionary Experiences; Setting the Constitutional Agenda; The Case for Ratification; The Challenge of Constitutional Interpretation; Later Thoughts; FURTHER READING; 2 James Madison's Journey to an "Honorable and Useful Profession, " 1751-1780; The Death and Re-Burial of James Madison; Beginnings; Education; Searching for an "Honorable and Useful Profession"
Beginning a Career in PoliticsConclusion: The Birth of Montpelier; FURTHER READING; 3 James Madison, 1780-1787: Nationalism and Political Reform; Introduction; Historiography; Madison in Congress, 1780-1783; Back in Virginia; Preparations for the Philadelphia Convention; FURTHER READING; 4 James Madison and the Grand Convention: "The Great Difficulty of Representation"; Madison's Presentation of the Convention Debates; Act I of the Federal Convention: The Alternative Plans; Act II: The Connecticut Compromise; Conclusion: Madison's Contribution to the Federal Republic; FURTHER READING
5 James Madison and the Ratification of the Constitution: A Triumph Over AdversityIntroduction; The Philadelphia Convention and Confederation Congress; The Federalist; The Run-Up to Richmond; The Array of Forces, and a Signal Victory; Patrick Henry's Counterbalance; The Mississippi Issue; Antifederalists Range Far and Wide, and Federalists Calmly Reply; Cautiously Optimistic; Randolph's (and Nicholas's) Momentous Position; The Climax; Madison's Candidacies - And Election; FURTHER READING; 6 James Madison in The Federalist: Elucidating "The Particular Structure of this Government"
Introduction The Introduction: Federalist 37-38; The General Form of the Proposed Government: Federalist 39-40; The General Mass of Power in the Government: Federalist 41-46; The Particular Structure of this Government: Federalist 47-51; Particular Structure of this Government: The House of Representatives and the Senate: Federalist 52-58 and 62-63; FURTHER READING; 7 James Madison, Republican Government, and the Formation of the Bill of Rights: "Bound by Every Motive of Prudence"; Introduction: Understanding Madison's Puzzling Role in the Formation of the Bill of Rights
"Early and Strong Impressions in Favour of Liberty both Civil and Religious"A Reform Therefore Which Does Not Make Provision for Private Rights, Must Be Materially Defective"; "Separating the Well Meaning From the Designing Opponents"; "The Nauseous Project of Amendments"; FURTHER READING; 8 James Madison in the U.S. House of Representatives, 1789-1797: America's First Congressional Floor Leader; Introduction; Election to the U.S. Congress; The First Congress and the National Tariff; Madison and the Bill of Rights; Hamiltonian Finance; A Republican Congressman; Madison's Congressional Legacy
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Leibiger, Stuart Eric.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|