Contesting global governance [electronic resource] : multilateral economic institutions and global social movements / Robert O'Brien ... [et al.].
- Other records:
- Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Cambridge studies in international relations ; 71.
Cambridge studies in international relations ; 71
1 online resource (278 p.)
- International trade agencies.
International trade -- Social aspects.
International trade -- Political aspects.
International trade -- Environmental aspects.
World Trade Organization.
International Monetary Fund.
- Electronic books.
- This book argues that increasing engagement between international institutions and sectors of civil society is producing a new form of global governance. The authors investigate 'complex multilateralism' by studying the relationship between three multilateral economic institutions (the IMF, World Bank, and World Trade Organization), and three global social movements (environmental, labour and women's movements). They provide a rich comparative analysis of the institutional response to social movement pressure, tracing institutional change, policy modification and social movement tactics as they struggle to influence the rules and practices governing trade, finance and development regimes. The contest to shape global governance is increasingly being conducted upon a number of levels and amongst a diverse set of actors. Analysing a unique breadth of institutions and movements, this book charts an important part of that contest.
- Contesting global governance: multilateralism and global social movements
The World Bank and women's movements
The World Trade Organization and labour
The World Bank, the World Trade Organization and the environmental social movement
The International Monetary Fund and social movements
Complex multilateralism: MEIs and GSMs.
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
Includes bibliographical references (p. 235-255) and index.
- O'Brien, Robert, 1963-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|