Of caves and shell mounds [electronic resource] / edited by Kenneth C. Carstens and Patty Jo Watson.
- Other Title:
- Of caves & shell mounds
- Tuscaloosa : University of Alabama Press, c1996.
- Conference Name:
- Southeastern Archaeological Conference (1989 : Tampa, Fla.)
1 online resource (231 p.)
- Watson, Patty Jo, 1932- -- Congresses.
Indians of North America -- Kentucky -- Green River Region -- Antiquities -- Congresses.
Excavations (Archaeology) -- Kentucky -- Green River Region -- Congresses.
Caves -- Kentucky -- Green River Region -- Surveying -- Congresses.
Kitchen-middens -- Kentucky -- Green River Region -- Congresses.
Big Bend Sites (Ky.) -- Congresses.
Mammoth Cave National Park (Ky.) -- Congresses.
- Electronic books.
- Ancient human groups in the Eastern Woodlands of North America were long viewed as homogeneous and stable hunter-gatherers, changing little until the late prehistoric period when Mesoamerican influences were thought to have stimulated important economic and social developments. The authors in this volume offer new, contrary evidence to dispute this earlier assumption, and their studies demonstrate the vigor and complexity of prehistoric peoples in the North American Midwest and Midsouth. These peoples gathered at favored places along midcontinental streams to harvest mussels and other
- Contents; Figures and Tables; Preface; Acknowledgments; 1. Introduction; 2. Toward Building a Culture History of the Mammoth Cave Area; 3. Site Distribution Modeling for Mammoth Cave National Park; 4. Prehistoric Mining in the Mammoth Cave System; 5. Prehistoric Expressions from the Central Kentucky Karst; 6. Radiocarbon Dates from Salts and Mammoth Caves; 7. Managing Kentucky's Caves; 8. Botanizing along Green River; 9. Lithic Materials from the Read Shell Mound: A Reanalysis of a Works Progress Administration Collection; 10. Shell Mound Bioarchaeology
11. Health and Disease in the Green River Archaic 12. Research Problems with Shells from Green River Shell Matrix Sites; 13. Riverine Adaptation in the Midsouth; 14. Of Caves and Shell Mounds in West-Central Kentucky; References; Contributors; Index
- Based on a symposium for the Southeastern Archaeological Conference held in Tampa, Florida, 1989.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 165-198) and index.
- Carstens, Kenneth Charles.
Watson, Patty Jo, 1932-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|