Benjamin Franklin, Jonathan Edwards, and the representation of American culture [electronic resource] / edited by Barbara B. Oberg, Harry S. Stout.
- New York : Oxford University Press, 1993.
1 online resource (241 p.)
- American prose literature -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775 -- History and criticism.
American prose literature -- History and criticism.
Language and culture -- United States -- History -- 18th century.
National characteristics, American, in literature.
United States -- Intellectual life -- 18th century.
Franklin, Benjamin, 1706-1790 -- Criticism and interpretation.
Edwards, Jonathan, 1703-1758 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Electronic books.
- This is an interdisciplinary collection of comparative essays which looks at aspects of the thought of Edwards and Franklin and considers their places in American culture.
- Contents; Contributors; 1. Introduction; MIND; 2. Religious Affections and Religious Affectations: Antinomianism and Hypocrisy in the Writings of Edwards and Franklin; 3. Enlightenment and Awakening in Edwards and Franklin; 4. The Nature of True-and Useful-Virtue: From Edwards to Franklin; 5. ""A Wall Between Them Up to Heaven"": Jonathan Edwards and Benjamin Franklin; 6. Franklin, Edwards, and the Problem of Human Nature; CULTURE; 7. The Two Cultures in Eighteenth-Century America; 8. The Laughter of One: Sweetness and Light in Franklin and Edwards
9. Women, Love, and Virtue in the Thought of Edwards and Franklin10. The Selling of the Self: From Franklin to Barnum; LANGUAGE; 11. Reason, Rhythm, and Style; 12. Rhetorical Strategies in Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God and Narrative of the Late Massacres in Lancaster County; 13. Humanizing the Monster: Integral Self Versus Bodied Soul in the Personal Writings of Franklin and Edwards; Index; A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J; K; L; M; N; O; P; R; S; T; U; V; W; Y; Z
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Oberg, Barbara.
Stout, Harry S.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|