The tapestry of early Christian discourse [electronic resource] : rhetoric, society and ideology / Vernon K. Robbins.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 1996.
1 online resource (293 p.)
- Bible. N.T.. -- Socio-rhetorical criticism.
Bible. N.T.. Corinthians, 1st, IX. -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- Electronic books.
- In this original study, Vernon Robbins expounds and develops his system of socio-rhetorical criticism, bringing together social-scientific and literary-critical approaches to explore early Christianity.
- Book Cover; Title; Contents; List of illustrations; List of abbreviations; Preface; THE CHALLENGE OF SOCIO-RHETORICAL CRITICISM; The relation of Christianity to culture; The relation of texts to society, culture and history; The relation of New Testament interpretation to theology; The relation of disciplinary methods to an interpretive analytics; Conclusion; REDRAWING THE BOUNDARIES WITH SOCIO-RHETORICAL CRITICISM; The interpreter's location and ideology; Inner texture; Intertexture; Social and cultural texture; Ideological texture; Conclusion; INNER TEXTURE: EVERY READING HAS A SUBTEXT
Repetitive-progressive textureOpening-middle-closing texture; Narrational texture; Argumentative texture; Sensory-aesthetic texture; Inner texture in 1 Corinthians 9; Conclusion; INTERTEXTURE: EVERY COMPARISON HAS BOUNDARIES; Oral-scribal intertexture; Cultural intertexure; Social intertexture; Historical intertexture; Intertexture in 1 Corinthians 9; Conclusion; SOCIAL AND CULTURAL TEXTURE: EVERY MEANING HAS A CONTEXT; Specific social topics in religious literature; Common social and cultural topics; Final cultural categories; Summary; Social and cultural texture in 1 Corinthians 9
ConclusionIDEOLOGICAL TEXTURE: EVERY THEOLOGY HAS A POLITICS; Ideology in texts; Ideology in authoritative traditions of interpretation; Ideology in intellectual discourse; Ideology in individuals and groups; Ideological texture in 1 Corinthians 9; Conclusion; THE PROMISE OF SOCIO-RHETORICAL CRITICISM; Multiple textures in texts; Rewriting the historiography of first-century Christianity; Socio-rhetorical criticism and other fields of study; Bibliography; Index of scriptures and ancient texts; Index of modern authors; Index of subjects
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 245-265) and indexes.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|