The rise of the global imaginary [electronic resource] : political ideologies from the French Revolution to the global war on terror / Manfred B. Steger.
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2008.
1 online resource (331 p.)
- Political science -- History.
Right and left (Political science) -- History.
Ideology -- History.
- Electronic books.
- A tour de force examination of the contemporary ideological landscape by one of the world's leading analysts of globalization. - ;Neoliberalism. Neoconservatism. Postmarxism. Postmodernism. Is there really something genuinely new about today's isms? Have we moved past our traditional ideological landscape? Combining political history, philosophical interpretation, and good old-fashioned story-telling, Manfred Steger traces ideology's remarkable journey from Count Destutt de Tracy's Enlightenment "" to President George W. Bush's "" Rejecting futile attempts to. "" modern political belief system
- Contents; Preface and Acknowledgments; Introduction: Political Ideologies and Social Imaginaries; Part I. The National Imaginary; 1. Ideology and Revolution: From Superscience to False Consciousness; 2. The Grand Ideologies of the Nineteenth Century: British Liberalism, French Conservatism, and German Socialism; 3. Twentieth-Century Totalitarianisms: Russian Communism and German Nazism; Part II. The Global Imaginary; 4. Third-World Liberationism and Other Cold War Isms: No End to Ideology; 5. Market Globalism and Justice Globalism in the Roaring Nineties
6. Jihadist Globalism versus Imperial Globalism: The Great Ideological Struggle of the Twenty-First Century?Notes; Selected Bibliography; Index; A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J; K; L; M; N; O; P; Q; R; S; T; U; V; W; Y; Z
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 249-305) and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|