Epic interactions [electronic resource] : perspectives on Homer, Virgil, and the epic tradition : presented to Jasper Griffin by former pupils / edited by M.J. Clarke, B.G.F. Currie, and R.O.A.M. Lyne.
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2006.
1 online resource (456 p.)
- Homer -- Criticism and interpretation.
Homer -- Influence.
Virgil -- Criticism and interpretation.
Epic poetry, Classical -- History and criticism.
- Electronic books.
- This collection of essays celebrating the career of Jasper Griffin, one of the foremost modern scholars of classical epic, surveys the epic tradition from the eighth century BC to the nineteenth century of our era. - ;This collection of essays, written by former pupils of his, celebrates the career of Jasper Griffin, one of the foremost modern scholars of classical epic. The volume surveys the epic tradition from the eighth century BC to the nineteenth century of our era. Individual chapters focus on: Homer and the oral epic tradition; Homer in his religious context; Herodotus and Homer; Helle
- Homer and the early epic tradition / Bruno Currie
Homer's religion : philological perspectives from Indo-European and Semitic / Simon Pulleyn
Homer and Herodotus / Christopher Pelling
Hellenistic epic and Homeric form / Gregory Hutchinson
The Aeneid : inheritance and empire / Rebecca Armstrong
The epic and the monuments : interactions between Virgil's Aeneid and the Augustan building programme / Stephen Harrison
Augustan responses to the Aeneid / Matthew Robinson
Statius and the sublimity of Capaneus / Matthew Leigh
Achilles, Byrhtnoth, and Cú Chulainn : continuity and analogy from Homer to the medieval north / Michael Clarke
Quantum Mutatus ab Illo : moments of change and recognition in Tasso and Milton / Emily Wilson.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -412) and indexes.
Description based on print version record.
- Clarke, Michael (Michael J.)
Lyne, R. O. A. M.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|