Underwater tailing placement at Island Copper Mine [electronic resource] : a success story / George W. Poling ... [et al.].
- Littleton, Colo. : Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration, c2002.
1 online resource (217 p.)
- Mineral industries -- Waste disposal -- Environmental aspects.
Waste disposal in the ocean.
Tailings (Metallurgy) -- Environmental aspects.
- Electronic books.
- This book documents an important case study on the use of deep sea tailing placement at the Island Copper Mine on Canada's Vancouver Island. It's the most extensive study on underwater tailing placement ever conducted. Over the course of 30 years, more than 400 million tons of tailing solids were deposited on the ocean floor with minimal environmental impact. The study evaluated the relevant issues associated with the implementation of a deep sea tailing placement program, including engineering, chemical, biological, and environmental considerations.
- Cover; Title; Copyright; Contents; Figures; Tables; CHAPTER 1: An Introduction to Deep Sea Tailing Placement; CHAPTER 2: Selection of Subsea Tailing Placement; CHAPTER 3: Engineering Challenges and Solutions; CHAPTER 4: The History of the Morphological Change on the Seafloor of Rupert and Holberg Inlets; CHAPTER 5: Geochemistry: Chemical Stabilities of Tailings Sediment; CHAPTER 6: Changes in Physical and Chemical Properties of Rupert Inlet Waters; CHAPTER 7: Changes in the Biological Properties of the Pelagic Environment of Rupert Inlet Waters During 22 Years of Mine Operations
CHAPTER 8: Seabed Biodiversity at Island Copper Mine: Impact and RecoveryCHAPTER 9: Underwater Biodiversity Surveys and Biological Colonization of the Waste Dump Shoreline; CHAPTER 10: Fisheries, Tailings Bioassays, Trace Metal Bioaccumulation in Benthos, and Settling Plates; CHAPTER 11: Postclosure Rehabilitation and Assessment of Inlet System; Appendix A; Appendix B; Index; Color Plates
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Poling, George Wesley.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|