The Savannah River Chiefdoms [electronic resource] : Political Change in the Late Prehistoric Southeast / David G. Anderson.
- Tuscaloosa : University of Alabama Press, c1994.
1 online resource (481 p.)
- Indians of North America -- Savannah River Watershed (Ga. and S.C.) -- Antiquities.
Indians of North America -- Savannah River Watershed (Ga. and S.C.) -- Politics and government.
Chiefdoms -- Savannah River Watershed (Ga. and S.C.)
Mississippian culture -- Savannah River Watershed (Ga. and S.C.)
Savannah River Watershed (Ga. and S.C.) -- Antiquities.
- Electronic books.
- This volume explores political change in chiefdom's, specifically how complex chiefdom's emerge and collapse, and how this process-called cycling-can be examined using archaeological, ethnohistoric, paleoclimatic, paleosubsistence, and physical anthropological data. The focus for the research is the prehistoric and initial contact-era Mississippian chiefdom's of the Southeastern United States, specifically the societies occupying the Savannah River basin from ca. A.D. 1000 to 1600. This regional focus and the multidisciplinary nature of the investigation provide a solid introduction to
- Contents; Figures and Tables; Acknowledgments; 1. Political Evolution and Cycling; 2. The Causes of Cycling; 3. Mississippian Political Change: Evidence from Ethnohistoric Accounts; 4. Mississippian Political Change: Evidence from Archaeological Research; 5. Evidence for Mississippian Occupation in the Savannah River Valley; 6. The Record of Political Change in the Savannah River Chiefdom's; 7. Political Change in the Savannah River Chiefdom's: Environmental Factors; 8. Political Change in the Savannah River Chiefdom's: Events at Particular Sites and General Trends
9. Exploring Political Change in Chiefdom Society Appendix A. Early Historic Descriptions of Mississippian Centers in the Savannah River Basim; Appendix B. Mississippian Cultural Sequences in the Savannah River Valley; References Cited; Index
- Originally presented as author's dissertation (doctoral--University of Michigan, 1990).
Includes bibliographical references (p. -446) and index.
Description based on print version record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|