Beauty and the beast [electronic resource] : Italianness in British cinema / Elisabetta Girelli.
- Bristol ; Chicago, IL : Intellect, 2009.
1 online resource (186 p.)
- Motion pictures -- Great Britain -- History.
Italians in motion pictures.
Italians -- Foreign public opinion, British.
Italy -- In motion pictures.
- Electronic books.
- Recent years have seen an increased interest in issues of national identity and representation, and cinema is a major medium where strands and layers of representational systems come together in cross-cultural dialogues. Beauty and the Beast provides an account of the specific development of depictions of Italy and the Italians in British cinema. Girelli draws upon cultural and social history to assess the ongoing function of "Italianness" in British film, and its crucial role in defining and challenging British national identity. Drawing on British literary and filmic tradition to analyse the
- Front Cover; Preliminary Pages; Contents; Abstract; Acknowledgements; Introduction; Chapter 1: History and Representation of Italian Immigrants in Britain; Chapter 2: Italianness in 1940's British Cinema; Chapter 3: Italianness and Masculinity in 1950's British Cinema; Chapter 4: The New Italian Glamour: Italian Film Stars in British Cinema from the Early 1950's to the Mid-1960's; Chapter 5: Italianness, British Cinema, and Thatcherism; Conclusion; Filmography; Works Cited; Back Cover
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and filmography.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|