Acts of authority, acts of resistance [electronic resource] : theater and politics in colonial and postcolonial India / Nandi Bhatia.
- Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, c2004.
1 online resource (215 p.)
- Theater -- India -- History -- 20th century.
Theater -- Political aspects -- India -- 19th century.
Protest movements -- India -- History.
Women in the theater -- India.
- Electronic books.
- Explores the relationship between nationalism, colonialism, and the politics of theater in colonial and postcolonial India
- Contents; 1. Introduction: The Theoretical-Historical Context; 2. Censorship and the Politics of Nationalist Drama; 3. Multiple Mediations of ""Shakespeare""; 4. Performance and Protest in the Indian People's Theatre Association; 5. Colonial History and Postcolonial Interventions: Staging the 1857 Mutiny as ""The Great Rebellion"" in Utpal Dutt's Mahavidroha; Epilogue: Bringing Women's Struggles to the Streets in Postcolonial India; Appendix: A Bill to Empower the Government to Prohibit Certain Dramatic Performances; Notes; Bibliography; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 125-187) and index.
- Michigan Publishing (University of Michigan) publisher.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3998/mpub.17085 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|