A pillar of the constitution [electronic resource] : the House of Lords in British politics, 1640-1784 / edited by Clyve Jones.
- London ; Ronceverte, WV : Hambledon Press, 1989.
1 online resource (257 p.)
- Great Britain. Parliament. House of Lords -- History -- 17th century.
Great Britain. Parliament. House of Lords -- History -- 18th century.
Public administration -- Great Britain.
Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1603-1714.
Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1714-1820.
- Electronic books.
- This collection of original essays deals with aspects of the history of the House of Lords in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, including the internal management of the Lords and its external influence.
- Contents; Preface; List of Contributors; Abbreviations; 1 Introduction: The Peerage and the House of Lords in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries; 2 Parliamentary Management, Men-of-Business and the House of Lords, 1640-49; 3 The Role of Privy Councillors in the House of Lords, 1660-1681; 4 'Venice Preserved; or A Plot Discovered9: The Political and Social Context of the Peerage Bill of 1719; 5 The House of Lords and British Foreign Policy, 1720-48; 6 The Bishops at Westminster in the Mid-Eighteenth Century; 7 The House of Lords in the 1760s
8 The House of Lords in the Age of the American RevolutionIndex
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Jones, Clyve, 1944-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|