History and Hope in the Heart of Dixie [electronic resource] : Scholarship, Activism, and Wayne Flynt in the Modern South / edited by Gordon E. Harvey, Richard D. Starnes, and Glenn Feldman.
- Tuscaloosa : University of Alabama Press, c2006.
- Modern South.
The modern South
1 online resource (240 p.)
- Religion and politics -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century.
Political culture -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century.
Historians -- Alabama -- Biography.
Learning and scholarship -- Political aspects -- Alabama -- History -- 20th century.
Religion and politics -- Alabama -- History -- 20th century.
Political culture -- Alabama -- History -- 20th century.
Southern States -- Race relations -- Political aspects -- History -- 20th century.
Alabama -- Race relations -- Political aspects -- History -- 20th century.
Alabama -- Politics and government -- 20th century.
Flynt, Wayne, 1940-.
- Electronic books.
- Social and political history of the modern South. This collection of essays on the social and political history of the modern South consider the region's poor, racial mores and race relations, economic opportunity, Protestant activism, political coalitions and interest groups, social justice, and progressive reform. History and Hope in the Heart of Dixie illuminates the dual role of historian and public advocate in modern America. In a time when the nation's eyes have been focused by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita onto the vulnerability
- Can any good thing come from Auburn? / John Shelton Reed
Revisiting race relations in an Upland South community : Lacrosse, Arkansas / Brooks Blevins
Southern accents : the politics of race and the passage of the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964 / Susan Youngblood Ashmore
Is there a balm in Gilead? Baptists and reform in North Carolina, 1900-1925 / Richard D. Starnes
The beginnings of interracialism : Macon, Georgia, in the 1930's / Andrew M. Manis
Race, class, the Southern conference, and the beginning of the end of the New Deal coalition / Glenn Feldman
"Wallaceism is an insidious and treacherous type of disease" : the 1970 Alabama gubernatorial election and the "Wallace freeze" on Alabama politics / Gordon E. Harvey
Divide and conquer : interest groups and political culture in Alabama, 1929-1971 / Jeff Frederick
The scholar as activist / Dewayne Key
Evangelist for constitutional reform / Bailey Thomson
The historian as public policy activist / Dan T. Carter.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Feldman, Glenn.
Starnes, Richard D., 1970-
Harvey, Gordon E. (Gordon Earl), 1967-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|