Creolization [electronic resource] : history, ethnography, theory / Charles Stewart, editor.
- Walnut Creek, CA : Left Coast Press, c2007.
1 online resource (278 p.)
- Creoles -- Ethnic identity.
Creoles -- History.
Creole dialects -- Social aspects.
Creole dialects -- History.
- Electronic books.
- Social scientists have used the term ""Creolization"" to evoke cultural fusion and the emergence of new cultures across the globe. However, the term has been under-theorized and tends to be used as a simple synonym for ""mixture"" or ""hybridity."" In this volume, by contrast, renowned scholars give the term historical and theoretical specificity by examining the very different domains and circumstances in which the process takes place. Elucidating the concept in this way not only uncovers a remarkable history, it also re-opens the term for new theoretical use. It illuminates an ill-under
- Contents; Acknowledgments; 1. Creolization: History, Ethnography, Theory / Charles Stewart; 2. Creole Colonial Spanish America / Jorge Cañizares-Esguerra; 3. Creoles in British America: From Denial to Acceptance / Joyce E. Chaplin; 4. The ""C-Word"" Again: From Colonial to Postcolonial Semantics / Stephan Palmié; 5. Creole Linguistics from Its Beginnings, through Schuchardt to the Present Day / Philip Baker and Peter Mühlhäusler; 6. From Miscegenation to Creole Identity: Portuguese Colonialism, Brazil, Cape Verde / Miguel Vale de Almeida
7. Indian-Oceanic Creolizations: Processes and Practices of Creolization on Réunion Island / Françoise Vergès8. Creolization in Anthropological Theory and in Mauritius / Thomas Hylland Eriksen; 9. Is There a Model in the Muddle? "Creolization" in African Americanist History and Anthropology / Stephan Palmié; 10. Adapting to Inequality: Negotiating Japanese Identity in Contexts of Return / Joshua Hotaka Roth; 11. The Créolité Movement: Paradoxes of a French Caribbean Orthodoxy / Mary Gallagher; 12. Creolization Moments / Aisha Khan; About the Contributors; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Stewart, Charles, 1956-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|