Uncovering the history of Africans in Asia [electronic resource] / edited by Shihan de Silva Jayasuriya and Jean-Pierre Angenot.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2008.
- Brill eBook titles 2008
1 online resource (208 p.)
- Africans -- Asia -- History.
- Electronic books.
- The presence of Africans in Asia has been overshadowed by the tragedy of Atlantic slavery. Identifying Africans in Asia therefore challenges contemporary scholarship. Within this context, the processes of assimilation and marginalisation hinder identification of African migrants. This book demonstrates the multiplicity of roles performed by Africans and the heights that a few of them reached, even in a single generation. Drawing on a variety of sources, both oral and documented, this book reveals the extent of the African presence in Asia.
- Identifying Africans in Asia : what's in a name? / Shihan de Silva Jayasuriya
The Afro-Asian diaspora : myth or reality? / Gwyn Campbell
The African slave trade to Asia and the Indian Ocean Islands / Robert O. Collins
The Makran-Baluch-African network in Zanzibar and East-Africa during the XIX century / Beatrice Nicolini
Somali migration to Yemen from the 19th to the 21st centuries / Leila Ingrams & Richard Panhurst
Nineteenth century European references to the African diaspora in the Arabian peninsula / Clifford Pereira
Migrant and the Maldives : African connections / Shihan de Silva Jayasuriya
The African native in Indiaspora / Jeanette Pinto
Migrants and mercenaries : Sri Lanka's hidden Africans / Shihan de Silva Jayasuriya.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -187) and index.
- Jayasuriya, Shihan de S.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1163/ej.9789004162914.i-196 DOI
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|