Stranger in my own body : atypical gender identity development and mental health / by Domenico Di Ceglie.
- First edition.
- Boca Raton, FL : Routledge, an imprint of Taylor and Francis, .
1 online resource (366 p.)
- Gender identity disorders in children.
Gender identity disorders in adolescence.
- Electronic books.
- This book brings together the thinking of an international group of clinicians, researchers, and professionals from different disciplines and is based primarily on a selection of papers presented at a conference on the same topic held at the Tavistock Centre, London, in November 1996, but with additional original contributions. It presents a dialogue amongst the various perspectives that can be taken about atypical gender identity development and their relevance to mental health in children and adolescents. The book is aimed at a multidisciplinary professional readership and interested lay people.
- COVER; ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS; CONTENTS; LIST OF CONTRIBUTORS; FOREWORDPREFACE; 1. Development and mental health: the issue of difference in atypical gender identity development; 2. Reflections on the nature of the ""atypical gender identity organization""; 3. Associated psychopathology in children with gender identity disorder; 4. The complexity of early trauma: representation and transformation; 5. Biological contributions to atypical gender identity development; 6. The contribution of social anthropology to the understanding of atypical gender identity in childhood
7. Some developmental trajectories towards homosexuality, transvestism, and transsexualism: mental health implications8. Gender identity disorder, depression, and suicidal risk; 9. Gender identity development and eating disorders; 10. Child sexual abuse and gender identity development: some understanding from work with girls who have been sexually abused; 11. Intersex disorder in childhood and adolescence: gender identity, gender role, sex assignment, and general mental health
12. Management and therapeutic aims in working with children and adolescents with gender identity disorders, and their families13. Case illustrations; 14. Children of transsexual parents; GLOSSARY; APPENDIX A: Gender Identity Disorders in Children and Adolescents Guidance for Management. The Royal College of Psychiatrists (Introduction by Peter Hill); APPENDIX B: The Gender Identity Development Unit at the Portman Clinic, London; APPENDIX C: Mermaids; REFERENCES; INDEX
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 309-326) and index.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.4324/9780429480492 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|