Lard, Lice and Longevity : The Standard of Living in Occupied Denmark and the Netherlands, 1940-1945 / Ralf Futselaar, Hsieh Ying-Hui; J. de Jong, W. Koetsenruijter.
- Amsterdam : Amsterdam University Press, 
- Studies of the Netherlands Institute for War Documentation ; 1.
Studies of the Netherlands Institute for War Documentation
1 online resource (265 p.)
- Cost and standard of living -- Denmark.
Cost and standard of living -- Netherlands.
World War, 1939-1945 -- Denmark.
World War, 1939-1945 -- Netherlands.
Denmark -- Economic conditions -- 1918-1945.
Netherlands -- Economic conditions -- 1918-1945.
- Electronic books.
- Lard, Lice and Longevity reconstructs economic policies implemented in Denmark and the Netherlands during the German occupation. It clearly shows that the experiences of both these countries during World War I, and during the 1930s equipped them to introduce extensive and intrusive economic controls to ward off a subsistence crisis. In spite of the strong similarities between the two countries in terms of policies and economic order, there remains a glaring difference between the two. Throughout the occupation years, the Netherlands suffered a markedly higher level of child mortality than before or after the war, caused by an upsurge of infectious diseases. Child health in Denmark, on the other hand, declined during the occupation years, and infectious diseases rose only marginally there. In spite of similar policies, hence, the outcome in terms of the biological standard of living was dissimilar. By closely investigating the impact of various policies on everyday life, and the amounts of goods available to different groups of consumers, this study identifies the causes of this remarkable divergence.
Chapter 1. Introduction
Chapter 2. Small States in a Total War
Chapter 3. The Mystery of the Dying Dutch
Chapter 4. Feeding the People
Chapter 5. From Riches to Rags
Chapter 6. Value for Money
Chapter 7. Poverty in Moneyed Times
Chapter 8. The Shadow Economy
Chapter 9. Filth, food and infectious disease mortality
Chapter 10. Conclusion
A note on archival sources and abbreviations
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- Koetsenruijter, W., editor.
Ying-Hui, Hsieh, author.
de Jong, J., editor.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9789048521050 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|