The fortune hunter [electronic resource] : a German prince in Regency England / by Peter James Bowman.
- [England] : Andrews UK, 2011.
1 online resource (258 p.)
- Pückler-Muskau, Hermann, Fürst von, 1785-1871.
Fortune hunters -- Germany -- Biography.
Fortune hunters -- England -- Biography.
Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
Great Britain -- Intellectual life -- 19th century.
Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- 1837-1901.
- Electronic books.
- The two decades after Waterloo marked the great age of foreign fortune hunters in England. Each year brought a new influx of impecunious Continental noblemen to the world's richest country, and the more brides they carried off, the more alarmed society became.The most colourful of these men was Prince Hermann von Pückler-Muskau (1785-1871), remembered today as Germany's finest landscape gardener. In the mid-1820's, however, his efforts to turn his estate into a magnificent park came close t...
- Cover; Contents; Front Matter; Title Page; Publisher Information; Quote; Dedication; Acknowledgements; The Fortune Hunter; Prologue; Sunday's Child; To England: The Jolly Marchioness; Marriage and Divorce; To England Again; Park-Hunting; Brighton and Miss Gibbings; The London Season; Four Good Prospects; Capital of the World; The Bonhams of Titness Park; The Jeweler's Daughter; Fading Hopes; Surprised by Love; Napoleon's Niece; Success After All; A European Personality; Epilogue; End Matter; Appendix; Foreign Marriages; Extracts From Briefe Eines Verstorbenen; Other Testimonies
Notes on Sources Bibliography; List OF Illustrations
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 208-218) and index.